Dorm residents are supervised by trained VCU counselors during their time at Orchestra Project. Social activities and practice sessions are scheduled in the evenings. We are an unplugged camp! Students are asked to leave their computers at home during our short time at camp – human interaction and live music will be stressed! Smart phones are fine, as long as they are off during camp hours.
Dorm residents live in VCU’s Brandt Hall on the corner of Franklin Street and Laurel Street.
Some facts about the Resident Program:
- Resident Campers must be a minimum of 12 years old.
- Highly responsive security guards are on duty 24 hours per day.
- Each highly trained Residence Hall Counselor is assigned a group of 8 to 12 students. Counselors also accompany students to meals, classes and all program activities outside of the music activities during the day. Student safety is our top priority.
- The Head of Residence Life and three Senior Counselors live on-site and are available for emergencies. One of the Camp Directors is “on call” 24 hours a day via cell.
- Males and females will be assigned to different floors of the residence hall. Visitors of the opposite sex are not allowed in dorm sleeping rooms.
- The housekeeping staff keeps all public areas clean, but students clean their own rooms.
- Counselors are upper-level undergraduates or graduate VCU students or area music teachers who have completed a rigorous application procedure and training program, provided references, and passed a background check.
Check out this video produced by dorm counselors – summer 2015!